Student visa Requirements and Procedure
Austria ranks among the top richest countries in the world and has one of the highest standards of living in the world. The country lies in the center of Europe and easily accessible to neighboring countries via road, rail or air. Austria is well respected for its Universities and Higher Education facilities throughout the world and offers many employment opportunities to the graduates. Known for the tourist industry, beautiful Alps and historical landmarks, countless sports activities Austria is popular among students who want to pursue their carrier from Austrian Universities.
Requirements for Education in Austria
In order to study in Austria, one must send the required documents to the Austrian representative authorities which will then be forwarded to the Institutions. Keep in mind that submission of the application at the representative authority must be done early so that applications must reach university on time. Some of the Universities offer online applications further which communication will be done through electronic mail.
For Winter Semester your application must reach Austrian University at the latest by 5th September and February 5th for the Summer Semester and it is not extendable. As it will take time to process application, it would be better if you do the submission as soon as possible.
Austrian people and residents of EU/ EEA countries and Switzerland nationals can submit their application approximately by mid/end of October for Winter Semester and mid/end of March for Summer Semester varies from university to university. An additional application period of one month (November 30th for Winter Semester & April 30th for Summer Semester) is also given to the same.
For some courses like Medical and Arts courses, students need to qualify an entrance examination in order to get admission for the said courses. It would be better to enquire in advance about requirements, application deadlines and entrance examination dates.
Documents Required for Student Visa
- Application form can be directly downloaded from the University’s Website for which applicant wants to apply
- Identity Proof, a copy of official identity, Photo and Valid Travel Document is also required.
- Attested Copies of Academic Record (Transcripts) is required for International Students. For Graduate courses- Secondary School leaving certificate or equivalent, For Master courses-Bachelors degree or equivalent, For Doctoral program- masters or equivalent degree, is required.
- Proof of Proficiency in German is mandatory for many courses and should be included in the application documents if available.
- Bank Statements showing payment of tuition fee per semester if the student is not exempted
- Foreigner students need to submit the original copy of legalized documents and if the documents are in another language than German than legalized translations need to be done.
For Medical Universities, Universities of Arts, Institution of Applied Sciences, if students meet the pre-requisites, an invitation to appear in the examination will be sent to the applicant and admission will be based on the performance in the examination.
Visa and Residence Permit
Foreigner students need to apply for a Residence Permit if their course of study is more than 6 months, not Visa Permit. Residence Permit is issued by the Austrian Representative Authority and students can apply for it after receipt of notification of admission and should have it before arriving Austria. As the application process is time availing, it would be good if the application should be submitted a minimum 3 months before your arrival in Austria.
The citizens of EU/EEA member countries and Swiss nationals do not require Visa or Residence Permit for Austria. For more than 3 months stay in Austria they should apply for confirmation of registration named Lichtbildausweis fur EWR-Burger/dinner at the immigration office within 3 months of arrival in Austria.
Documents required for Registration
- Fully completed and signed the application form (can be downloaded from the internet or available from representative authority
- Any Travel Document / Valid Passport for the whole duration of stay in Austria
- Health Insurance
- Birth Certificate
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- Notification of admission to Austrian Institution
- Proof of Sufficient Funds (Scholarship letter, Parent’s account acceptable for students)
- Accommodation Proof
- Residence Permit
In Austria, you can enroll in Public or Private Universities, Colleges, and Universities of Applied Sciences.
- Public Universities
Public Universities offer free tuition fee to EU students. They just need to pay a minimal fee of approx. 18 EUR per semester to Student Union. For non-EU national fee is approx. 726.72 EUR per semester, in addition, 18 EUR per semester to the Student Union also need to be paid. If the student does not finish the course in the given time frame he has to pay a fee of approx. 363.36 EUR per semester to remain enrolled.
- Universities of Applied Sciences
Universities of Applied Sciences charge tuition fees for all the students depending upon the course and institution they are seeking admission.
- Private Universities
Private Universities charge their own tuition fee starting from approx. 1000 EUR per year and go up to 40,000 EUR per Year.
Scholarships for International Students –
International Students studying in Austria can be benefitted from various scholarships and grants offered by Austrian Universities/ Organizations. For Instance, The Federal Aid for Students offers a grant from 475- 679 EUR per month whereas, Austrian Government Authority called Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria provides a scholarship of 940 EUR per month and sometimes they also cover the accommodation cost of the student living in residence halls.